Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who is a NAC member or a good candidate who may want to join and would appreciate a trial) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- Naval Association of Canada (Site link to Starshell Magazine)
- Other Interesting Web Sites
- Archived weekly NAC New Links
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 11 months1,977 people have contributed $261,873 towards the $300,00 goal
- C4ISR and Beyond 2019 Rear-Admiral Jeffery Zwick, Chief of Force Development would deliver the keynote address. 30 Jan 2019 7:30-17:00 Ottawa ON
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball – Saturday, June 15, 2019: This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and Commissionaire of the CCG, will be held at the Hilton Lac to celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC (Mark your calendar, details to follow, honest!)
- ★ Royal Canadian Navy – Year in Review 2018 (Editor – snappy video)
- HMCS Charlottetown – Cdr Nancy Setchell
- How HMCS Nanaimo prepares for stormy seas
- Island Voices: China sets debt trap, threatens militarily — and seduces us
- Canada and 5 other nations pull trigger on world’s biggest trade deal — leaving America out in the cold
USA & AMERICAS
- Jim Mattis’ Farewell Message to the Pentagon
- ★ Top Stories 2018: Navy Acquisition (Editor – excellent summary with pics/videos)
- Quality over quantity: U.S. military strategy and spending in the Trump years
- General Dynamics Bath Iron Works contracted to build a fifth DDG 51 destroyer
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Dec. 31, 2018
- Navy Tests ‘Littoral Combat Group’ Concept That Pairs DDG, LPD in South America Deployment
- CNO: U.S. 2nd, 3rd Fleets to Become Expeditionary (Editor – US Fleet explanation)
- Report on Use of U.S. Armed Force Abroad: 1798-2018
- Panama Canal: Main Milestones of 2018
- Amid Export Boom, U.S. Still Imports Natural Gas from Russia
- Japan’s regional offensive
- China should target US carriers, test resolve: Chinese Admiral
- China’s New Submarine-Launched Nuclear Missile Can Hit the U.S.
- US urges Pacific allies to boost their military presence in South China Sea
- As China’s Type 001A carrier sets out on fourth sea trial, analysts say call to service must be near
- PLA wants FC-31 fighters on its aircraft carriers
- China Celebrates Growing Naval Capabilities
- 10 years of China’s Gulf of Aden journey: A global player with more responsibility
- ★ SEA 1000 and future submarine deterrence strike modules
- Australia’s first Hobart-class destroyer completes weapons, systems evaluation
- Taiwanese Navy flexes its missile muscles
- Chinese Navy’s Railgun Spotted Under Way
- India Takes Over Iran’s Chabahar Port
- Burning Car Carrier Sincerity Ace Abandoned in Pacific Ocean; Two Missing, Three Fatalities Confirmed
- Samsung Heavy Industries Wraps Up 2018 with 49 Ships on Order
- Shell’s Prelude FLNG Begins Initial Phase of Production Off Western Australia
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Norwegian Frigate Helge Ingstad Accident Report
- Royal Navy sent ‘to prevent migrant crossings’ in Channel
- Russia ‘testing underwater nuclear drone’
- Russian researchers rejoice as construction of Arctic station starts
- Italy’s seventh FREMM frigate returns from maiden deployment
- Ukrainian Gunboat Fires Shots to Halt Suspected Smugglers
- Aker Arctic Bronze Propellers for Ice-class Ships
- Boxship Loses Containers in North Sea, Items Wash up on Dutch
- Photos: MSC Zoe Loses Containers in North Sea
- Chemicals Found on Dutch Beach after Container Spill
- Trawler Goes Aground in Norway’s High Arctic
- Norway’s Equinor will start 2019 with a new oil field near border to Russia
- Navy Nightmare: Could Iran Sink a U.S. Aircraft Carrier?
- Royal Australian Navy seizes illegal drug shipments in the Middle East
- U.S. Navy Intercepts Five Tons of Hashish in Gulf of Aden
- Iran’s Revolutionary Guards to Upgrade Speed Boats with Stealth Tech
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list develops from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former Royal Canadian Navy patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 HMCS Ville de Quebec sinks the German submarine U-224 in the western Mediterranean Sea.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the Royal Canadian Navy’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the Royal Canadian Navy Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.