Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who is a NAC member or a good candidate who may want to join and would appreciate a trial) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- Naval Association of Canada (Site link to Starshell Magazine)
- Other Interesting Web Sites
- Archived weekly NAC New Links
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 11 months1,982 people have contributed $262,223 towards the $300,00 goal
- C4ISR and Beyond 2019 Rear-Admiral Jeffery Zwick, Chief of Force Development would deliver the keynote address. 30 Jan 2019 7:30-17:00 Ottawa ON
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball – Saturday, June 15, 2019: This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and Commissionaire of the CCG, will be held at the Hilton Lac to celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC (Mark your calendar, details to follow, honest!)
- ★ Naval Affairs Update – New Briefing Notes # 7 Shipbuilding in Canada and #8 Naval Procurement. Check these out at Naval Affairs Briefing Notes
- ★ The slow death of the duct tape military (Editor – this article was submitted by a member, a provocative piece, but I sadly agree with the gist of his argument)
- ★ Canada can afford new fighters or new frigates – but not both at once: report
- Alion Canada files another court challenge
- Lundi Leadership – Ltv Mélanie Lahey (Editor – video)
- Coast Guard Begins Ice Breaking Ops in the Western Great Lakes
- BREAKING: Fire on Halifax Bound Ship.
- Hapag-Lloyd Containership On Fire Off the East Coast of Canada
- Tug to Retrieve Burning Yantian Express in North Atlantic
- The Veterans Affairs Canada (VAC) Assistance Service
USA & AMERICAS
- 2018 USNI News Fleet Tracker Year in Review
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 7, 2019
- The US Navy’s surface fleet: Here’s what’s ahead in 2019
- Navy Quietly Fires 20 Hyper Velocity Projectiles Through Destroyer’s Deckgun
- Navy May Deploy Surface Ships to Arctic This Summer as Shipping Lanes Open Up
- Quality over quantity: U.S. military strategy and spending in the Trump years
- How the Fleet forgot to fight Pt. 8: a Force Development Strategy
- Then what? Wargaming the interface between Strategy and Operations, Pt. 2
- The strategic need for tactical excellence: Raising the surface navy’s combat capability
- Trade War Contributes to U.S. LNG Export Decline
- PGS Updates on Seismic Acquisition Contract in South America
- China’s economy shows more signs of running out of gas
- China’s economic slowdown: How worried should we be?
- HMAS Hobart put through its paces
- HMS Argyll Hunts Submarines in the Philippine Sea
- Chinese military warns off US warship and keeps alert to situation
- China develops naval radar that can survey and monitor areas as large as India: Report
- DSME Jangbogo-III Batch-II Pilot Design Has Come to an End
- New ‘global Britain’ sets naval sights on Asia
- PODCAST: How naval shipbuilding is shaping the future of Australian defence, Rear Admiral Jonathan Mead, Royal Australian Navy (Editor – 34 min podcast)
- US Navy’s Mark-VI patrol boats complete 500nm long-range transit
- Indonesia arming up in the South China Sea
- Indonesian Navy Acquires Two New Training Vessels
- Eyeing China, US to hold missile drill in Japan’s Okinawa: Report
- Editors’ picks for 2018: ‘Finally, a truckload of common sense’
- China protests over U.S. warship sighting as trade talks start
- Editors’ picks for 2018: ‘The aggregate failure of Australia’s submarine policy’
- China Overtook the US as World’s Largest Crude Oil Importer in 2017
- South Korean Shipbuilding No.1 Again!
- World’s Largest Shipbuilder Ups the Ante for 2019
- Illegal fishing and Australian security
- Structural Issue Forces U-Shaped Ocean Cleanup System to Leave Great Pacific Garbage Patch, But Return Planned for 2019
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Dutch air-defense frigate HNLMS Evertsen becomes SNMG2 flagship
- USS Fort McHenry is the first US Navy ship to enter Black Sea since Kerch Strait incident
- USS Fort McHenry Visits Romania While Russian Frigate Watches
- Nine new hydrographic vessels to be built for Russian Navy by 2021
- Royal Navy pay tribute to HMY Iolaire
- Yantian Express Abandoned in North Atlantic Due to Ongoing Container Fire
- Dutch Authorities Demand Clean-Up Costs From MSC Line
- Update: MSC to Fully Pay for North Sea Cleanup
- Stowage Questions Mount as Enquiries Begin into MSC Zoe Box Loss
- MSC Cruises: First Meraviglia-Plus Ship Floated Out
- Rosatom to Regulate Russian Arctic Shipping
- Russian President Commissions Kaliningrad LNG Terminal
- Oil Spill Cleanup Device Tailored for the Arctic
- New Navy sub to be called ‘Dragon’ after original choice draws fire
- Iran to Send Warships to the Atlantic, Closer to U.S. Waters
- USS Cole bomber Jamal al-Badawi targeted in Yemen air strike
- Austalia, Iran Sign Shipbuilding Pact
- Somali Region Once Riddled with Pirates Sees Peaceful Power Transfer
- BIMCO Calls on EU, China and U.S. to Support Counter-Piracy Ops in Gulf of Guinea
- Global Shipbuilding Market to Grow 2% by 2023
- A Record-Low Start to Ice the New Year in Antarctica
- Cities at Sea: How Aircraft Carriers Work (Editor – for the Naval Aviators lots of eye candy, a worthwhile explanation of modern Carriers)
- Obituary: Lt-Cdr Konstanty Okolow-Zubkowski (Editor – extraordinary life)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws from LEGION magazine, and the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former Royal Canadian Navy patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 HMCS Ville de Quebec sinks the German submarine U-224 in the western Mediterranean Sea.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the Royal Canadian Navy’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the Royal Canadian Navy Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.