Editor NAC News firstname.lastname@example.org (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com if you wish someone (who is a NAC member or a good candidate who may want to join and would appreciate a trial) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- Naval Association of Canada (Site link to Starshell Magazine)
- Other Interesting Web Sites
- Archived weekly NAC New Links
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 11 months1,982 people have contributed $262,223 towards the $300,00 goal
- C4ISR and Beyond 2019 Rear-Admiral Jeffery Zwick, Chief of Force Development would deliver the keynote address. 30 Jan 2019 7:30-17:00 Ottawa ON
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball – Saturday, June 15, 2019: This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and Commissionaire of the CCG, will be held at the Hilton Lac to celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC (Mark your calendar, details to follow, honest!)
- ★ Naval Affairs Update – New Briefing Notes # 7 Shipbuilding in Canada and #8 Naval Procurement. Check these out at Naval Affairs Briefing Notes
- Game changing mast installation underway on submarines
- ★ Overcoming ‘Boom and Bust’? Analyzing National Shipbuilding Plans in Canada and Australia
- Brison may be leaving but he and these others will be testifying at the Mark Norman trial
- Defence chief Vance slated to testify this month in Vice-Admiral Norman case
- Canadian Gov’t to Assess Risks Posed by Wrecked, Abandoned Ships
- Preserver Scrapping Completed
- Ducted Propellers Could Boost Marine Wildlife Safety
USA & AMERICAS
- US Navy to add 46 ships in five years, but 355 ships won’t come for a long time
- Navy And Industry Must Balance New Construction With Maintaining Existing Platforms
- ★ The ghost in the Fitz’s machine: why a doomed warship’s crew never saw the vessel that hit it
- The U.S. Navy’s Titanium “Tin Can” (Editor – a cautionary tale. For perspective Cdn annual defence budget is $25B)
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Jan. 14, 2019
- Worse than you thought: inside the secret Fitzgerald probe the Navy doesn’t want you to read
- U.S. Homeland Security Chief Seeks Pay for Coast Guard as Service Members Miss First Paycheck
- 2019 shaping up as a big year for US Navy Future Frigate program
- Navy Honing in on Requirement for Next Large Combatant; Industry Talks Start This Week
- Then what? Wargaming the interface between Strategy and Operations, Pt. 3
- First SEAL Selected to Serve as a Fleet Master Chief
- Navy Set to Restart LCS Deployments this Year, Despite Challenges in Manning, Training
- U.S. Army to Divest a Majority of its Watercraft and Maritime Capability
- USS Wichita Commissions Saturday, Will Bring LCS MCM Capability to East Coast
- Navy Wants 2 Variants Next Common Auxiliary Hull: One for People, One for Volume
- PORTS: Busiest U.S. Port Set Cargo Records
- Sea Shepherd Ship Attacked Inside Vaquita Refuge
- Over 500 Sick; Cruise Ship Returns to Port
- Surface Navy Association to Hold Annual Symposium
- Suez Canal Revenues Plunge in November
- U.S. Navy’s Top Officer Heads to China Amidst Rising Tensions
- US And British Warships Join Forces In The South China Sea For The First Time In A Clear Message To China
- USS America Will Head to Japan to Serve as Next Forward-Deployed Amphibious Flagship
- No end to World War II in sight in the Kuril Islands
- Chinese shipbuilding and Seapower: full steam ahead, destination uncharted
- Japan upgrades naval self-defense
- Japan Moves Ahead With Procurement of 9 E-2D Advanced Hawkeye Aircraft
- China completes fourth round of sea trials for new Aircraft Carrier
- Chinese companies have their eyes on what used to be the US Navy’s biggest base in the Pacific
- China’s weakening trade figures should concern us all
- Russia Eyes Island Storage for Arctic LNG Amid China Demand Boom
- Aboard the giant sand-sucking ships that China uses to reshape the world
- Shipbuilding: Synergy’s New 20,000+ TEU Containership
- ONE: Two Boxships Set Container Loading Records
- ReCAAP: Piracy and Armed Robbery Incidents Lowest in a Decade
- Chevron Launches Three New Very Large Crude Carriers
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Send a Gunboat
- ★ Talk of Western intervention in the Black Sea is pure fantasy
- Putin warns West on Balkans as Serbia provides lavish welcome
- Babcock awarded maintenance contract for HMS Queen Elizabeth
- Two new-built tankers are crossing the Arctic in mid winter
- Spain rescues 472 migrants, some on inflatable rafts
- German WW1 submarine emerges off French coast
- UK Opens National Decommissioning Center
- Fire-Stricken Maersk Honam to Be Rebuilt in South Korea
- 4,500 Marines, F-35 Squadron on Standby in Middle East as U.S. Mulls Syria Exit
- New CTF 150 Commander conducts first official visit in Oman
- Four nations conducted focused operations for Combined Task Force 152 in the Gulf
- Shifting North Magnetic Pole Forces Unprecedented Navigation Fix
- Ocean Alliance to Deploy 330 Ships in New Service
- IMO Emphasizes Seafarer Training
- Global Piracy Up in 2018, Gulf of Guinea Leads
- eSwatini – Taiwan’s last friend in Africa
- South Africa’s military at a crossroads
- Big Plastic’s $1 Billion Pledge to End Plastic Waste Just a Drop in the Polluted Ocean
- SpaceX launches final 10 satellites for Iridium
- Ecofix + Ecoshield: The complete rudder protection package
- With this weapon: will the type 26 could be the most capable warship in decades (Editor – lengthy video about VLS launcher ideally for our new ships)
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list draws from LEGION magazine, and the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former Royal Canadian Navy patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 HMCS Ville de Quebec sinks the German submarine U-224 in the western Mediterranean Sea.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the Royal Canadian Navy’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the Royal Canadian Navy Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.