Fellow Members: MERRY CHRISTMAS
Editor NAC News
firstname.lastname@example.org (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule email@example.com if you wish someone (who is a NAC member or a good candidate who may want to join and would appreciate a trial) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- Naval Association of Canada (Site link to Starshell Magazine)
- Other Interesting Web Sites
- Archived weekly NAC New Links
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 11 months1,941 people have contributed $253,673 towards the $300,00 goal. (Editor – from Lee Hammond; “Hi Folks – once again, I have elected to raise our goal. From the beginning I always set the goal based on what we thought we could reasonably raise. As VAdm Norman’s story becomes more well known an increasing number of Canadians are coming forward to support him. This support is very much needed – a legal defence is very expensive and VAdm Norman needs all the help he can get. So thanks everyone for the continuing support.)
- C4ISR and Beyond 2019 Rear-Admiral Jeffery Zwick, Chief of Force Development would deliver the keynote address. 30 Jan 2019 7:30-17:00 Ottawa ON
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball – Saturday, June 15, 2019: This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and Commissionaire of the CCG, will be held at the Hilton Lac to celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC (Mark your calendar, details to follow!)
- Global defence spending grows – Canada ranks number 16 in worldwide defence spending
- Canada as a Maritime State
- Seaspan Shipyard NSS Progress Gallery (Editor – note modules for JSS!)
- Witness at Mark Norman hearing alleges DND attempts to keep files hidden from public view
- Crown says no evidence of political interference in Mark Norman case
- Welcome home HMCS Calgary and MV Asterix 2018
- Canada’s new warships must be built for the future—not for today
- Davie warns of shipbuilding strategy ‘disaster’ as Coast Guard icebreaker delivered
- Air force bids farewell to Sea King helicopters with retirement flight
- When every minute counts – maritime search and rescue (2018 Report)
- CDA Institute Aerogram: CSIS “How Will 5G [Fifth Generation] Shape Innovation and Security: A Primer”
- Senate Report: Responding to Russian Aggression
- Two law firms to represent soldiers and veterans who said they are suffering from side effects of mefloquine
- Racing to the Bottom: Attacks Against Defined Benefit Plans and Retirement Income Security
- BC Ferries Spending USD 42 Mn to Upgrade 17 Vessels
- Fairview Terminal Reaches 1 Million TEU Milestone
- Spying on Canada: Commercial espionage and the threat to Canadian business
USA & AMERICAS
- ★ Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis Resigning in February
- First Scorpene built in Brazil launched
- US Navy christens newest Freedom-variant littoral combat ship St Louis
- Report to Congress on Changes in the Arctic
- Coast Guard Polar Security Cutter Funding Frozen By Capitol Hill Budget Negotiations
- Report to Congress on Aegis Ballistic Missile Defense
- A Design for Maintaining Maritime Superiority 2.0
- Kearsarge ARG, 22nd MEU Depart Norfolk For Deployment
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Dec. 17, 2018
- Did You Know? The U.S.-Owned Ship Fleet is Valued at $47.2B
- Huntington Ingalls Rolls-out Virginia Class Submarine Delaware
- US Air Force set to launch 1st next-generation GPS satellite
- Falcon 9 Glitch Scrubs First GPS III Launch
- Maritime Reporter and Engineering News (Editor – Commercial Shipping Magazine)
- ★ The battery that could make mass solar and wind power viable | Dispatch
- LRAUV: Arctic Oil-Spill-Mapping Robot Put to the Test
- Carnival to Launch Four Ships in 2019
- North American Container Handling Record Set in Los Angeles – 27,846 TEU Moved
- Japan to launch first aircraft carriers since WW2
- Japan to spend more than USD240 billion on defence over next five years
- Kuril Islands: Russia’s Eastern Frontier (Editor – lengthy 25 min video, packed full of interesting and historical points to ponder)
- ★ North Korea sounds the death knell for denuclearization
- Australian submarine HMAS Rankin returns from seven-month deployment
- Austal to deliver more ships to US Navy
- Industry helps to keep us ‘battle ready and deployed’: RADM Mead
- ★ China’s South China Sea grab
- Builder ‘who shared details on China’s carriers’ may face death
- Japan ‘to leave whaling commission to resume hunting’
- Official beginning of work on subs program (Editor – Australia)
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Royal Navy frigates return from Trident Juncture, Westlant deployments
- Shipbuilding: Navantia to build Five Navy Frigates
- Export orders rolling in for the Type 26 frigate: can it be reduce cost per unit? (Editor – useful YouTube video, but just view first 3 minutes)
- How Russia Wants to Track (And Kill) Navy Submarines
- ★ Damage to the Helge Ingstad (Editor – video, external images show extent of damage)
- World’s First High Bay Container Storing System is Ready
- Great Ships of 2018: #3 Future of the Fjords
- Photos: 28,100-ton Johan Sverdrup Processing Platform Departs South Korea Aboard World’s Largest Heavy Lift Vessel
- Greece Seizes $113 Million Worth of Drugs from Libya-Bound Ship
- Russia-Ukraine sea clash leaves Mariupol port deserted
- Iran Ship Blocked a US Warship. – LOOK What Happened Next…
- U.S. Carrier in Middle East Focused on Missions Over Afghanistan, Maritime Security
- HMAS Ballarat first patrol off to a strong start
- Yemen war: Firing in Hudaydah raises fears for new truce
- Pirates Release Crew Kidnapped from Containership Off Nigeria in October
- Madagascar Seizes Panamanian-Flagged Ship with Chinese Crew
- One Book Explains the Rise of Globalization: Peter R. Orszag
- Smart ships using the wind and air bubbles to save fuel (Editor – cool video)
- Merry Christmas from the RCN
- First Sea Lord & Warrant Officer of the Naval Service | Christmas 2018 message
- Fleet Commander’s (Australia) Christmas message
- CNO, MCPON Answer Sailors’ Questions Live on Social Media
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list grows from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former Royal Canadian Navy patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 HMCS Ville de Quebec sinks the German submarine U-224 in the western Mediterranean Sea.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the Royal Canadian Navy’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the Royal Canadian Navy Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.