(WW2 West Isle Trawler – Built in Kingston ON for the RN, she was loaned to the RCN, though never commissioned into the RCN; and was manned by RN personnel. After the war she was returned to the RN.)
Fellow Members: Happy New Year
Editor NAC News email@example.com (comments welcome to help improve this service)
Contact David Soule firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish someone (who is a NAC member or a good candidate who may want to join and would appreciate a trial) to be added to the NAC News email distribution.
★ Editor’s stars of the week
Keep in touch with the NAC
- Naval Association of Canada (Site link to Starshell Magazine)
- Other Interesting Web Sites
- Archived weekly NAC New Links
Keep in touch with the RCN
- TWITTER @RCN_MRC @Comd_MARPAC @MARPAC @RCN_MARLANT #RCNavy or #MarineRC
- YouTube Royal Canadian Navy or Marine royale canadienne
- flickr Royal Canadian Navy / Marine royale canadienne
- ★ GoFundMe for Admiral Norman’s Legal Defence – After 11 months1,965 people have contributed $257,278 towards the $300,00 goal. (Editor – from Lee Hammond; “Hi Folks – once again, I have elected to raise our goal. From the beginning I always set the goal based on what we thought we could reasonably raise. As VAdm Norman’s storey becomes more well known an increasing number of Canadians are coming forward to support him. This support is very much needed – a legal defence is very expensive and VAdm Norman needs all the help he can get. So thanks everyone for the continuing support.)
- C4ISR and Beyond 2019 Rear-Admiral Jeffery Zwick, Chief of Force Development would deliver the keynote address. 30 Jan 2019 7:30-17:00 Ottawa ON
- MARITECH Full Speed Ahead: Firing on all cylinders (Call for papers opportunity) Conference and Exhibition, Ottawa ON April 23-25 2019
- 2019 Maritime Gala Ball – Saturday, June 15, 2019: This event, supported by the Commander of the RCN and Commissionaire of the CCG, will be held at the Hilton Lac to celebrate the many successes of our Canadian Maritime community. This event will commemorate the past, celebrate the present, and confirm their commitment to the future. Tickets will be on sale early March 2019 so mark your calendars.
- NOABC 100th Anniversary Celebration 2-6 Oct 2019 Vancouver BC (Mark your calendar, details to follow!)
- China’s advances in Arctic may pose security threat to Canada
- Quebec’s Davie offers second supply ship at reduced cost to entice Liberal government to buy
- Feds ask trade tribunal to toss warship case
- TAYLOR: Politics pressure control of national shipbuilding strategy
USA & AMERICAS
- Trump: Mattis Will Step Down on Jan. 1; Shanahan to Serve as Acting SECDEF
- Jim Mattis and I Fought Together. No One Called Him Mad Dog.
- USNI News Fleet and Marine Tracker: Dec. 27, 2018
- Kearsarge ARG, 22nd MEU Enter U.S. 6th Fleet Area Of Operations (Editor – refresher on US Fleet Areas of Operation)
- ★ How is China modernizing its navy?
- Venezuela Navy Confronts Exxon Vessel in Guyana Border Dispute
- Navy Awards Bath Iron Works a Second FY 2019 Destroyer, In First Move to 3-a-Year Buy Rate
- US trade war raises the specter of new Cold War
- China Conducts First Test of New JL-3 Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile
- South Korea approves plan to develop homegrown Aegis destroyer
- China’s ‘Belt and Road’ plan in Pakistan takes a military turn
- The ANAO’s major projects report: missing sub-stance
- Ma Jian: China’s ex-intelligence chief jailed for life
- Proposals sought for enhancing underwater vehicle stealth
- AIS Problems Revealed in East China Sea
- China’s LNG Imports Hit Record High
- World’s Largest FLNG Facility Starts Production
- Japan to resume whaling, but only in its territorial waters
ATLANTIC & EUROPE
- Gavin Williamson: UK ship in Ukraine ‘sends message to Russia’
- Martial laws comes to an end in Ukraine after 30 days
- Russia Tests Nuclear-Powered Long Range Torpedo
- This British Nuclear-Sub Can circumnavigate the entire globe without surfacing. (Editor – cool video)
- Captured Ukrainian Sailors Lose Court Appeal
- Season’s First Icebreaker Deployed in Finland
- Thames Estuary cargo ship stowaways detained
- UK Forces Retake Ship After Stowaways Threaten Crew
- Cruise-Line Size Race Is Over; Now It’s About Amenities
- Autonomy: The Vision of Autonomous Shipping
- Editors’ picks for 2018: ‘A difference of degrees: the looming climate catastrophe’
- Cruise Industry to Cut Carbon Emissions 40%
- “Get Off My Bloody Ship!” The British Last Stand in Shanghai 1941
- Editor – 3 YouTube clips for Frank Willis and all the naval aviators…Happy New Year
SIGNIFICANT RCN DATES
(Trial portion of NAC News. Month by month building a comprehensive list of significant RCN events – if you see any glaring omissions or errors please inform me, and more modern significant dates are welcomed. The list grows from the Directory of History and Heritage’s comprehensive “Significant Dates in Canadian Military History”)
- 1 January 1923 The National Defence Act, which was passed in June 1922, takes effect, creating the Department of National Defence.
- 1 January 1946 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and the Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve together become the Royal Canadian Navy (Reserve). From this date officers of the Regular Force and Reserve wore the same sleeve lace.
- 4 January 1943 HMCS Prince Henry is re-commissioned as Landing Ship Infantry (Medium).
- 8 January 1944 HMCS Camrose and HMS Bayntun sink the German submarine U-757 in the North Atlantic.
- 9 January 1945 HMCS Ehkoli, a former Royal Canadian Navy patrol boat, is re-commissioned in the RCN as a survey vessel.
- 11 January 1957 HMCS Magnificent arrives in Port Said with the main body of the Canadian contribution in troops and materiel to the United Nations Emergency Force controlling the Israeli-Egyptian border.
- 13 January 1943 HMCS Ville de Quebec sinks the German submarine U-224 in the western Mediterranean Sea.
- 14 January 1952 HMCS Uganda is renamed Quebec.
- 17 January 1957 HMCS Bonaventure is commissioned at Belfast, Northern Ireland. She is the first aircraft carrier to be owned outright by Canada and incorporates several post-war technical developments: an angled deck, mirror landing aid, and steam catapult.
- 19 January 1911 The Royal Naval College of Canada opens in Halifax.
- 19 January 1943 HMCS Port Arthur sinks the Italian Submarine Tritone in the Mediterranean Sea.
- 22 January 1942 The Canadian Naval Board is established.
- 24 January 1932 HMC Ships Skeena and Vancouver land armed parties at Acajutla, El Salvador, to protect British subjects threatened in a revolution.
- 24 January 1946 HMCS Warrior, the Royal Canadian Navy’s first aircraft carrier, is commissioned and Nos.803, 825, 826 and 883 Squadrons (already manned by Canadians) are transferred from the Royal Navy.
- 26 January 1955 Cabinet approves the entry of members of the Womens’ Royal Canadian Naval Reserve as members of the Royal Canadian Navy Regular Force.
- 30 January 1991 At the Battle of Babiyan a CF-18 Hornet attacks and causes irreparable damage to an Iraqi warship. It was the only CF-18 credited with an official victory during the Gulf War.
- 31 January 1923 The Royal Canadian Naval Reserve and Royal Canadian Naval Volunteer Reserve are established.